Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Week 5. I think its week 5... They all seem like one big week now! I am 1 now!‏

Dear Friends and  Family!

It is always so great to hear from you. I love you and am so glad to hear that things are going well. That is so exciting to hear about dads new calling :)

So many things have happened this last week...here are some of the highlights and stories..

I went to Raising Canes for the first time! They have the best chicken strips and lemonade. ( I included a picture! lol be jelous..jk)

we were able to teach a lady I will call k. k wont let her son get baptized until she has learned more about the church and has taken the missionary discussions. We were able to teach her last Monday about the restoration. We watched the Restoration DVD. The spirit was so strong throughout the movie and afterward as we were testifying to her about the truth of this message and how it can bless her life. We invited her to pray with us during the lesson if Joseph Smith was really a prophet of god. She said ok! Sister Hills and I were so shocked because normally she says no to praying in front of us. Her prayer was the most sincere prayer I have ever heard. She asked God to tell her if this is his will and if it was she wanted to do what ever he wanted her to do. The spirit was so strong. We invited her to get baptized and she said she would not commit to a date, but she would when she knew it was right. She has a great heart and You can see the change working in her.

Another one of our investigators Is going to get baptized on July 16th! He is still reading and praying to know it is true. He has accepted everything we have taught him so far and we are working on member fellowship with him.

Apparently they are having a drought in Louisiana right now? To be honest..It doesn't feel like it. It is so humid here that I'm pretty sure they are not hurting for rain. Someone here has been praying for rain though because it has been raining a lot the past couple of days.

It is amazing to me how much important planning is. I have always kept a day planner and made sure to plan out my days, but on the mission we plan so much more. It is such an important part of our work. One night all of our appointments had fallen through and we weren't sure what we were going to do, but because we had planned and had a backup plan the lord was able to help us and we ended up having a very productive evening and visiting a lot of less active members.

Story!
Sister Hills and I were out tracting on Friday and stopped at this one house.. We knock on the door and wait a while, suddenly the door cracks open and the eyes of the very tired, frustrated man peek out from the crack of the door. he asks who we are..and we tell him were missionaries..he looks at us really weird and so i told him we had a message to share with him! To that he replied.."ok let me go put my M4 away.." he had had his gun pointed at us through the door. ( don't freak out dad. I am fine and safe and all is well.) lol  We ended up teaching him about the restoration on his door step because his wife was not home. our one sided conversation( from his end) was more about guns and politics..so we just stood there.. and tried to find a way to tie it into the gospel. he told his he had a  M17 with a 7 in. bayonet..and the M4 was his wife's..very interesting. after the 20 min. "lesson" on his door step we were able to leave. (people here like to talk a lot!) plus he was half asleep. As we were walking away Sister Hills turned to me and said " We are sure going to have to pray about ever going back to that house."  good times.

Sunday we were able to teach a man named Carl. Carl lives in the swamp in a trailer. He told us last week that we would be able to come back and teach him this week with a set return time. So we can back and he had forgotten about us. (It always amazes me how people do not take us serious when we say we are going to come back.lol) We sat outside on his porch, by his trailer, in the swamp and taught him the message of the restoration. The spirit was very strong as we were able to recount the first vision to him. There were a lot of things that we shared with him that he had never thought about before. He had a lot of questions about where we came from, and why we are here.. we are going to share with him the plan of salvation the next time we meet with him.

Yesterday Sister Hills and I and the elders ( who are Spanish speaking) were able to go to a Spanish sister in the wards house for lunch. She is so sweet and has such a wonderful testimony. Even though I could not understand any of it.. the spirit was very strong.
When we got to the house she had a salsa  thing with shrimp in it for us and ritz crackers. Sister Hills and I were so excited that that was all there was because we have been so very full lately because of all the dinner appointments. ( do not get us wrong, we love it, It is just hard because I might need another Southern hospitality skirt.lol) After we had finished with what we thought was the main course she brings us a huge bowl with a crab in it! She had made us seafood Gumbo. ( I included pictures) It was so good but so much! My first time having real crab! It was funny when she brought it to us Sis. Hills looked at us and said " That wasn't the main dish?" The members here are very good to us. The Seafood Gumbo had shrimp, chicken and crab in it. very good.
For dessert she gave us these strawberries in this sweet dip stuff.. I found out it was sweet and condensed milk and sour cream.

That is my report for the week. I hope to have more uplifting stories to share in the upcoming week. There are great things happening here in Slidell, LA. I know that the lord loves all his children, It is up to  you to help the missionaries find those who need rescuing.
Mom.. if anything sounds funny or needs fixing..please fix it. I hope my stories make sense..and don't worry the gun man wasn't going to shoot us..please don't freak out.lol. I hope these pictures that I chose are good. I included one of my bike. I will send you more of my apt. next week :)
I love you so much and am so glad you are doing well!
Love,
Sister Urie

Southernism: Right quick ( in stead of saying.. i need to go to the store really fast. they'll say "we were fixin to say a prayer right quick" :D )
Tracting tips: $0.76











No comments:

Post a Comment