Monday, October 8, 2012

Week 72-Another great week in Flowood MS

Dear Family,
 
It was, yet again, another great week in Flowood,MS...So much and so little happened all at the same time..
Can I just say though how wonderful General Conference was this weekend? ( General Conference is a twice a year televised event where the prophets and apostles speak to the whole world. checkout www.lds.org ) anyways.. If asked what my favorite session was I do not think I could tell you just one. They were all so wonderful and to be honest there was not a talk this conference where I was "bored" ( if that is bad so say?) I could've done with a whole other day of conference.  I will say though I loved the address by Holland in the Sunday morning session and also the address by President Utchdorf in the Saturday Morning session as well. We need to live in the moment and find happiness now. I am learning more and more everyday that the only constant in our lives is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. True joy comes from learning more about it ( by keeping the commandments) John7:17..and also in doing so we will have the holy spirit with us, the comforter that Christ promised he would send after he left..Therefore we will desire that spirit to be more in our lives and will live life accordingly. What a great thing!..
So.. I'm certain yall heard about the new age for Elders and Sisters to serve missions? ( 18 for the boys and 19 for girls). I think this is great. Bring it on! more sisters need to serve missions. They make for more stable mothers and homes. The work is hastening and going forth!  One thing I thought was great..was in the press conference following the first session of conference they said that this was not a requirement for boys and girls to leave at that age..it was simply a new option. Also the MTC time would be cut down by 1/3rd. Don't know weather that's good or bad..but it sure means that those who want to serve missions are going to have to step it up!
 
So we had a few experiences this week.. Missionary work sure is exhausting but rewarding...
Cody is still planing on getting baptized this Saturday..please keep him in your prayers so that we had have a good service and things come together.. We went over the baptismal interview questions with him this week and he is more then ready..gave better answers then I would have!
 
We had two awesome exchanges this week with members.. The first was an awesome member that helped us go to try to visit sisters in the unassigned visiting teaching list. We were only able to see one person with her and they yelled at us and said she was not interested..very uplifting..but we did have a cool experience. we went to this one door and weren't able to speak with the sister but she had a picture of Christ taped to her door. (The picture of him in the red robes? if you know which one I'm talking about..)..It was humbling that even though she isn't active in church right now there is hope for her return. The door as we stood there almost said to me.."I want to come back I love Christ and his gospel..I just need help in returning." I cannot wait to tell you how our visit with her goes this week as we try to see her again.
 
The second exchange was totally spur of the moment. One of our amazing members called us up to see if she could take us to lunch..so of course we said yes!..then after she said..well do you have any errands you need to run?..of course to this too we said yes! so she came with us to see some people..We were able to take her to two different visits with people and she hit it off with both of them! It is amazing how when you go the extra mile things happen and fall into place..
I say this because we were able to finally catch up with( when she was with us) that family I told you about a few weeks ago .. where it was a referral of the daughter in law of the little sweet old lady wed been visiting? .. well we had a great visit with her and during our visit learned that she used to be at 0% sure of things..and now shes to 50% sure that this is for her.. crazy part is we've only seen her a grand total of 3 times! all the other times our appointments have fallen through or we've stopped by and not been able to see her and only talk with her kids. Things are happening her in Flowood..just ever so slowly now..and I wouldn't even say slowly.its all on the lords time and we are on his errand. I love love love my commission to serve as a full time missionary!
 
So..funny story..book of mormon class Wednesday night we had people bring refreshments and only two people showed up for class..well at the end of class just before the prayer this little girl comes in and seeing on the brownies and chips on the table says..( picture a little girl with faded cat whiskers painted on her face saying this..) " uhm..excuse me..but I'm really hungry..can I have some of those chips.. please?".. ( I just sat there..it was too funny and I didn't even know what to do..) so we told her that she could have some..but we needed to have a prayer first..and asked if she would say the prayer..she said she would..her prayer went something as follow " Dear father in heaven, Today was a great day a really great day, it was a beautiful day. please help us to not have bad dreams tonight..we don't want to have bad dreams..name of Jesus Christ amen!".. with that she got her plate of brownie and chips and left.. the best part was about 5 minutes later she came down the hallway with her pose of her dad and several other little kids..she was going to show them where her spoils came from.. mean while we had moved all the treats to the kitchen..so the table upon which once sat all these treats now was barren and the white table clothe was all that was left. as the walked through the door you could almost here the confusion in her voice as she saw it was all gone.." yeah it was right..here..?" ha..it was too cute.
Needless to say we've been quoting her all week.
 
So conference almost didn't happen for us Saturday morning. God always provides a way though and we were able to watch it with President and Sister McDonough. Thank heaven for small miracles and the wonderful people.
 
I love yall so much and hope you have a wonderful week. Thank you for the letters..I am working on writing yall back. I feel your prayers ( that are much needed) and your love. Know my prayers are with yall and that The work is great.
I know with all my heart and mind that Thomas S. Monson is a prophet in these days. A true prophet. and that if we listen to his counsel and the words of all the other prophets and apostles we will have happier lives.
 
Love yall, Sister Urie.
 
Scripture:"Your future is only as bright as your faith."-Thomas S. Monson. Ether 12:27
Southernism: the pictures are both southernisms this week..the one is one we saw tracting..baby Jesus on a hook..yikes!
Tracting tips: zip!

No comments:

Post a Comment