Monday, August 20, 2012

Week 65, are you sure its week 65?

Dear family,
 
Time is going so fast! I hardly know what to do with myself. It is amazing that as things start to come to an end ( even though mind you we are "always in the middle") How time gets faster..until right up to the end and things slow down.. yet again I can say It truly was another GREAT week in Flowood MS and I am loving every minute.
If you were wondering, training is going well and Sister Johnson is still alive. Its weird...this training go around I haven't felt nervous or scared to train at all. Either someone has been praying really hard for me ( which there is no doubt in my mind that people are praying for the work) or I'm really starting to get used to this. Bring on whatever, any companion anything. ( within reason..lol) I love this work and I feel so blessed to be apart of it. 
So I bet your wondering.. What amazing things have been happening in Flowood/Brandon this week?..Well let me tell you!!
We had our very first Book of Mormon class this week. yes you read correctly. Attendance in total ( not counting 6 of us missionaries) was 7 people! Pretty great. Were going to have to set up a lot more tables this coming week. Hopefully. It is also really neat because Sister Johnson ( my companion) is an amazing artist and is going to start making flyers to put around the building each week to get ward members excited for the class. I'll have to take pictures of them and send um to ya!
The topic for this last Scripture study class we taught was the introduction to the book of mormon and a little background on the restoration. I know with all my heart..and it just makes sense that we needed a restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Which is so great that we were blessed with an additional witness to help us know the truth of the restoration. Something that they have asked us to do as missionaries is read from the Book of Mormon at least 20 minutes a day. Also once a week we are to take Moroni's challenge and pray to know if the Book of Mormon is the word of God. Why preach and testify about something you do not have a witness of yourself. I think this is important for us to as members of the church, If we really want our friends to enjoy the gospel and gain a witness of the truth of the Book of Mormon, we ourselves need to be taking advantage of and coming to a knowledge of its truth for ourselves daily. 
 
Speaking of people who are coming to know if the book of Mormon is the word of God... Do yall remember the investigator I told ya about that didn't think we celebrated Birthdays? well.. he came to church!! We tried to meet with him this week and it fell through because he has been so busy with work..so we stopped by Saturday evening and the first thing he says to us is " I'm coming to church tomorrow!" whooaah..OK sounds great! ha ..you just don't have to many people come out and tell you that right off the bat. He really enjoyed the services and said that he will not be able to come this next week ( he has to go to his sons church) but that he will come the following week. I have decided that it is going to be a slow process but I hope that it will lead to a lasting conversion for him.
We also had another friend come to church and stay for only sacrament meeting..but that's OK!  I love it when we see people taking steps towards repentance, being in the right place and the right time.
 
Great story for the week happened as we performed random acts of service.. So..went to an appointment and they weren't there..but we saw a few houses down that people were either moving in or out of the house of a less active member. We walked over there and upon seeing that they actually were moving in ( a random family we didn't know) we asked if we could help. They told us no thanks we got it.. ( I never really take no for an answer..because it looked like they could use some help) so I set down my bag ( were in our skirts mind you) and said "no strings attached we just want to help." And started helping unload stuff from the truck and taking it inside. I love helping, it felt so good to be able to help, after a few minutes the feeling of opposition with us helping went away and we were able to have lots of fun. It went by so fast, The fastest move in i have ever been able to help with id say..One of the men there said, "do we have to pay you?" of course we told them no we just want to help and kept working. After it was done we shook their hands and walked away. Probably could have pressured them for their contact info and if they wanted to learn more about our church, but I felt they just needed that kind of exposure to the church first and then later when missionaries knock on their door they'll remember that one time when to ladies in skirts helped them move in.
 
Oh update on the other missionaries in our area.. They shut pearl down for two weeks ( our district leader..biking only area) and they are working with Brandon Zone leaders in their area. Its been a little crazy, but I will say the dynamic with this group of missionaries is much better then in the past. We are working really well together and many new projects are in the works. I am excited for all the changes in place and It is amazing what can happen when a group of people work in unity.
 
Well.. I love this work and I love being a missionary. I have a wonderful companion and a great area. Most importantly I know I have a loving Heavenly Father who is always there..anytime. 
Love yall and hope that yall have a wonderful week. Don't forget to read your Scriptures!
Sister Urie.
 
Southernism: (I'm running low on words..but I found some cool church signs! check it out..)
Tracting tips: zip..zero..nada..OK..maybe one penny. it keeps raining and washing our money away.
Scripture: 2 Nephi 25:23-26,29-30

No comments:

Post a Comment