Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Week 64: New Companion, New Friends and the Hindu Temple‏

Dear Family,
 
What another great week! I love being a missionary and I feel so blessed to be serving here in Flowood, MS. Can I just tell you..? Things are looking up! We just got a new district leader in the area and a new zone leader. So currently everyone serving in this area has only been here for no more then two transfers. New blood equals lots of great changes about to take place. I am so excited.
One of these changes is "Scripture Study Class" We will be holding once a week on Wednesday evenings. This class will be a great way to bring the ward together, to be excited about reading the Book of mormon and also to help them learn how to mentor with the book of mormon. The book of mormon mentoring program has taken a back seat.. actually its pretty much been shoved to the trunk because, in my opinion people are too scared to share the Book of Mormon with people or they want to just don't know how. Ill let ya know how the class goes next week.

So I almost had to play the piano in church again..but! We were able to visit the lady who is called to play and she came to church. It is amazing! Most people ( ALL PEOPLE) just need a visit and a friend, and they will come back. Funny thing is most of the people we visited with this week had this concern.."I would come back, but I don't really know anyone." One family we got into see who haven't been to church in many many years the husband remarked " I know that there are a lot of Men in the ward that would be excited to see me." You're so right they would!! Could you only imagine what would happen if we took seriously our calling to be a friend and loved those in the ward that we know or don't know back into the gospel?.. We would no longer be focusing on what we call "less active" retention..but we would be focusing on Finding those who are seeking for a fullness of happiness. (Then the missionaries could focus on teaching them) As members we are called to be full time finders.
 
I love this work! .. Sunday we had a lady that is less active come to church that we have seen a couple times. ( remember the lady I told you we met at wal mart? I know we meet a lot of people at wal mart.. This is the one we met in the bread isle that said she had been less active but knew god had sent us to her and that she wanted to come back?) ..well she came to church! Her husband is anti..but I know if we keep praying for him and helping her feel of the love that comes from having faith in Jesus Christ and his atonement.. it will help her so much. Also! We are going to work on finding her some fellowship. A friend that she can turn too.. I love the quote by Gordon B Hinkley that says there are three things that members  and non members need in this work to succeed 1. A friend 2. To be nourished by the Good word of God and 3. A calling.
We all are looking for purpose and what a better way to have purpose then by inviting others. I do not believe that the purpose of a missionary to "invite others to come unto Christ.." only applies to full time missionaries, for everyone of us is a missionary and example of the church in our own respect..
Ill get off my soap box.. but please just love your friends into the gospel!
 
We met with the non member family I told you we were teaching this week..And they have a baptismal date for September 8th! it is amazing how good it feels to set a date for people for baptism..it was kind of funny because they asked us why we set them with a date because other churches just tell ya..hey your getting baptized this week! ..maybe we should start doing that? ..but no we told him that this is a life long commitment and that we have things that we need to teach them and help them to do to prepare..like come to church..(They were sick and didn't come this week.)
A miracle of Flowood this week is we ran into a lady who was excommunicated ( found her in the area book) and under the bishops supervision have been working with her. We left the saviors peace and blessing on her home and we are helping her build her faith in Christ and the atonement by teaching her the lessons again. one so we can practice and two.. well so she can be re-baptized! :) She said she would come to Scripture study class and ..eventually back to church. This sweet woman is yet another friend we met this week that said shed come back if she had a friend.
 
... Well As you can see from the subject line of this email.. We went to a Hindu Temple this week!! ha.. We met a sweet Hindu lady tracting and she invited us to come to her church..as we also invited her to come to ours. (I hope she comes) The temple was beautiful but felt so empty in my heart. They were celebrating Krishna's birthday (one of their Gods) and her son was dancing at the performance. their costumes were beautiful. Loved it..just sad..You know? It is neat to experience different cultures and to hear their "creation story".
 
So I told you about my new companion right? Sister Johnson from Murray, Utah. She is so nice and we get along really well. Sister Mokalake went down to Slidell, LA. My old home! ..Sister Johnson and I have been having many adventures and great teaching experiences. Cant wait to share more with yall next week!
Stay safe and know I'm praying for yall!
Love, Sister Urie :)
 
Scripture: Jacob 7:9-12
And this is not all—it has been made manifest unto me, for I have heard and seen; and it also has been made manifest unto me by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, I know if there should be no atonement made all mankind must be lost.
I love this scripture... It has really caused me to ponder and reflect on how much of an effect the atonement has on our lives. It is at the center of everything. Without it there would be no point. But there was an atonement made and this makes me want to try harder to become more like my savior and be more of what my father needs me to be. to change..to repent.

Southernism:... My southernism this week is the back of that trailer picture I sent.. only in the south! love it :)
Tracting Tips:...ten cents?

No comments:

Post a Comment