Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Week 36: New investigator and Interviews‏

Dear Family!

How are ya'll doing? Things are going great here in Clinton, MS. The work is good, Just still working on finding people to teach, always finding. This week we had interviews on Wednesday with the Mission president. Would you believe it if i told you we were leading the mission in other lessons taught? I know I couldn't either! Sister Hawkes and I have been working really hard and are loving serving together. Things are going well...just still trying to find people to teach. That is the key having someone in every area of the teaching process..we just keep praying.

President also told us to by some pepper spray for when we go into Jackson..apparently it is pretty dangerous there..We are working on bring a member with us for when we go there. One of the Elders said we should get a gun..I told him only if it were hot pink and we could rhinestone it. ha..yes, so no gun for us.

This week we had a great experience with one of our new investigators. We were felt inspired to knock on her door ( the missionaries had met with her about a year ago, So we thought we would try her again). She was very welcoming and invited us in for a discussion. We shared with her the Restoration of the gospel, Talking a lot about prophets and the priesthood restored. This was one of the greatest lessons I think I have been blessed to be apart of as of my whole mission. She really understood and just like it say in Doctrine and Covenants 50:21-22 "..he that preacheth and he that recieveth, understand and one another, and both are edified and rejoice together."  It was a great moment when after the first vision was recited, and the spirit was very strong, she sat pondering and then said.."that really leaves me with a lot to ponder." As we were getting ready to leave she told us that she is going to read and study every and ask a lot of questions. We told her that we hope she does! As she was looking through the restoration pamphlet before we left she read aloud, to herself, again the first vision. The spirit filled the room as it had when we had recited it. I know that that experience Joseph Smith had did happen and that he was called of God to restore this gospel to the earth. ( oh ..You would've laughed..we were really bold with her when we first met her and I asked her if she could "cut the TV off"..haha I about died that I said it..but i did!)

Our new friend is having a lot of health problems ( she is in her 70s) So we told her that the elders could come the next day ( which was Wednesday) and give her a blessing of healing. After explaining to her about the priesthood and faith, she accepted the invitation and said that she would love it. " Never block your blessins!" She said.
That next day the elders came and gave her a blessing. Following the blessing she told us that she really felt peace and enjoyed it. I am grateful for the priesthood in my life and righteous men who are worthy to hold it.  We are going to try to meet with, we will call her Lucy, Lucy tonight.

Soo Two days ago we were trying to see this potential, and the house of the potential ended up being the residence of a less active lady that we didn't know anything about! Her name is on our records, we just didn't know anything about her. It was crazy! So we go and meet with her, come to find out she has been less active for about 18 or so years and is now attending another church. Long Long story short she chose to take offense and because of it she didn't feel they were "growing" in our church. So they left the church. She loves the missionaries and has fond memories of the missionaries who taught her back when she first joined the church. It was just really sad to us how now she will not except the doctrines of the restored gospel. One thing i have come to learn though is you can tell, very quickly, the state of a persons heart. When I say this I mean it is getting easier to discern how open someone is to "giving place to a portion of the word" (Alma 32:26-28) This sweet sisters heart was so hard to the things we have to share that saying anything at all was pointless. We let her offer the closing prayer and went on our way.


Yesterday I spoke in church about using and incorporating the spirit in missionary work. We must not forget that we are all missionaries and we have all been called to a great work! Eventually everyone will hear the gospel ( in the spirit world) So ya'll should give the missionaries names of your friends now that they can teach, give your friends a head start on hearing the word. It cant hurt and I know the missionaries will appreciate it. lol. ( I didn't say that in my talk..but I wanted to tell you family..lol) Yes..the spirit is the third member of the godhead and he testifies of truth.

One thing I learned the other day from my studies in Preach my gospel, is that we are always teaching. Our actions speak volumes of our character and people are always watching us, especially as members of the church. Thank you for your great examples to me.
I love ya'll so much and hope you have a wonderful week!
oh..PS.. I am really really behind of my letter writing because of exchanges

Love ya'll!

Sister Urie

Southernisms: I have heard this one a lot this week..she was" Pleased as a peach." or...I was just "pleased as a peach!"

Tracting tips: we found one penny..it was in the mud.
Scripture: Alma 32:41 " But if ye will nourish the word, yea, nourish the tree as it beginneth to grow, by your faith with great diligence, and with patience, looking forward to the fruit thereof, it shall take root; and behold it shall be a tree springing up unto everlasting life."

No comments:

Post a Comment