Monday, January 16, 2012

Week 34 - New area, Spanish Investigator, Salsa, "Makin faith"

Dear Family!
There is so much I have to tell you. We had such a great week in Clinton, MS. I love my new area, the ward is great and I love my companion. Things have been a little bit chilly, yet we are pushing through and forward. This week we contacted many referrals and saw many less active and active members. The ward I am currently serving in consists of two main families and everyone is pretty much either a branch off of them or "grafted in". ( yes, we are going to make a family tree to put on our wall today so we can get it all straight.) Part of me really misses my old area, but I know this is normal. It has been fun trying to figure things out here and learning the area.
Ya'll have asked how Clinton is different from Slidell?.. Slidell is mostly a Catholic community where as Clinton is SOUTHERN BAPTIST. There are a few what are called "red zones" in our area, of place that we are not allowed to go due to crime and such. No worries Mom and Dad I feel very safe here. eh..the fire hydrants are sliver..not sure why. it is my goal to find that out this week. Also Slidell was really flat where as Clinton has a lot of hills and such. Both have great wards and people, and both have one or two families that make up the whole ward. yes I do love the south.
So..There were some crazy experiences that happened this week that I have to share with you..Now I am going to start by saying that missionary work..is unpredictable.
First story..This isn't very exciting, but I did find it interesting that we pulled up to one potentials house to see if she had read the copy of the book of mormon we had loaned her. Before we could even knock on the door this boy comes out ( about 11 years of age) and tells us his mom is not interested. As he starts to go back inside we as him if he could go ask her what she thought of the book we loaned her. Unsure of what we meant he went back inside and came back with the copy of the book of mormon we had loaned her..he handed it to us and said " she read it and isn't interested." ( side note..no one who has read the book of mormon and sincerely read and prayed about it would just hand it back! ..anyways) So we took the book back and it smells so much of cigarette smoke that we will not be able to give it to anyone unless we somehow air it out. lol
Second story..The Fire Hydrants are silver!!..this is different..i think it has something to do with the college. this is a college town and we are not to procolite anywhere near the college. (which really isn't a problem for the sisters because it is in the elders area.)
Third story.. Soo We got a media referral for a lady who lives in Jackson and on Saturday we went to contact her. Come to find out she speaks about as much English as I do Spanish, yet she understands a lot of English. Her son speaks both English and Spanish and was interpreting for us. (about age 13)..It was perfect timing that we contacted her because she is moving in a few days. So we were able to volunteer to help her clean her new house. Also when we were sharing with her the message of the restoration and sharing the story of Joseph Smith and the first vision the spirit was so strong! She posed the question to us.." why did the Lord pick Joseph Smith to restore his church." this question has caused me to ponder and I have come to this conclusion.. " Why did the Lord pick Abraham? Why Issac? Why Noah? Why Samuel? Why Nephi and Lehi?" We read in Doctrine and Covenants 121:34-36 That "Behold, there are many called, but few are chosen. And why are they not chosen?
Because their hearts are set so much upon the things of this world, and aspire to the honors of men, that they do not learn this one lesson—
That the rights of the priesthood are inseparably connected with the powers of heaven, and that the powers of heaven cannot be controlled nor handled only upon the principles of righteousness."
This is my conclusion thus far..More pondering still yet to do.
Fourth Story: I found a place that has semi good salsa. It is hard to find good salsa down here. now the reason this is such an awesome story is because we went and ate Mexican food right after teaching the Spanish lady. super awesome! :)
Fifth Story: So we got invited to go to a pentecostal church...and we went! It was actually really a neat experience. The people were very friendly and the music was nice. It was sad for me to see that they were confused on where their authority comes from. I know that there was a great apostasy, A period of time where Gods power was taken off the earth. Which is why there was a need for a restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, not a reformation. Joseph Smith was the one called to be the first prophet of the restoration and I know that the priesthood has been restored again to the earth by a Loving God through a living prophet. This is his kingdom once again established on the earth. Oh how I love this Gospel.
The lady that invited us we met in the bathroom of McCallisters. Hopefully one day she'll come to church with us too. I think she will find it a much different and peaceful experience. I loved this opportunity and was grateful for the truth and knowledge that we do have as members of the Church of Jesus Christ in these later days.
Sixth story: We finally got a hold of this family that sister hawkes has been trying to teach forever. The husband and wife are currently separated, but we were able to catch both of them home and shared the first lesson with them. Whenever we would share a scripture or when we recited the first vision the wife would say " that really got to me..that was really sweet." at the end she broke down and cried. They would be a family of 4 with 3 of the kids baptisable age. We are going back to see them tonight. The wife grew up southern baptist but, both her and her husband said, they are very open and interested in learning more. The dad said the closing prayer! which was also great. In the prayer he thanked God for bringing us to his house and asked Heavenly father to help them to keep an open mind. I pray that they are sincere and will really pray to know if what we are sharing is true.
Well anyways. The work is good. Things are great. I love my new companion and my new area. Hope you enjoy the pictures..there are quite a few this week. Any questions or anything i can do for ya'll please let me know. also please let me know if there is anyone I can pray for.
Ya'll are the best and I love ya lots!
The church of Jesus Christ is just what it says it is..Jesus Christ Church! I love this gospel and I know that living by the principles in the book of mormon will bring much great peace into our lives!
Be good ya'll!
love, Sister Urie
Southernism: We were talking with this man and he was telling us how he went huntin. He asked if we wanted to see pictures of his hogs. We said sure! So as he was showing us pictures he said we could not judge him. I said as long as your going to eat it, no worries. He proceed to ask us if we came from families that hunt? We both told him no..with his southern drawl he said.." So ya'll are city folk!" haha..good times.

Tracting Tips: 5 cents!! were in the money! :)
Scripture: 4 Nephi 11:15-18 "but they were in one, the children of Christ, and heirs to the kingdom of God." I love this story.." There could not be a happier people among all the people who had been created by the hand of God."

No comments:

Post a Comment