Monday, June 11, 2012

Week 55: You wouldnt believe it even if you were here...‏

Dear Family!
 
Another great week in Flowood,MS..Honestly..you would not believe it even if you were here the things that have happened in the last three days. So many small miracles have taken place and so many wonderful teaching opportunities. My heart is full just thinking about it. I know that the lord has prepared this place for missionaries..I cannot deny this! There are so many things that happen and are happening here in Flowood that you cannot deny that the Lord had his hand in the experience. " ...and by very small means the Lord doth confound the wise and bringeth about the salvation of many souls." ( Alma 37:7)
I will illustrate this principle by telling you a story.. now I need to put an *apostate disclaimer* on this story because..well you will see.
So yesterday..Sunday.. we were driving to go see this person we felt we needed to go see. On the way there and as we pulled into the subdivision we saw a lady pull over, slam on her brakes and jump out of the car and ran and opened the back door of the car. We were in the sud division so Sister M and I, after witnessing this, quickly pulled over and ran over to see if the woman needed any help. She told us that her daughter (very young) had a fever and was really sick..also that her husband was at work and this was the second time she had tried to make it to the store to get her medicine and also the second time her daughter had thrown up on her car seat. Without thinking I said, "we'll go for you!"..the I hesitated and said.."it's Sunday.".. I knew that if my child were that sick that I would be at the store getting medicine ( also having someone give them a blessing.. besides the point) We went to the store for her and got the medicine that she was needing ( yes we got strange looks)..and I also felt prompted to buy a twix candy bar.. So we drove quickly back to her house and gave her the medicine..there is a song I love that says "she didn't speak the saviors name..but her actions taught me more of why he came. She never knew the lives she blessed and changed in this world and beyond." Judge the situation as you will..but I know we were supposed to be in that subdivision to help that woman. We were able to help her daughter and then I gave her the candy bar and she said that twix were her favorite. In a few days we will go back and follow up and see how they are doing, but at that instance in time it was not right to "push the gospel" on her. The Lord knows all his children and knows the events that will lead up to their conversion into his restored gospel. I hope that us breaking the sabbath to help her "pull her ox out of the Myer" was what the savior would have done. For I feel he would have..actually he would have healed her right then and there..but we work with what we've got.lol ( I hope this story came across right..)
 
phew! that was a long one.. well I have a new companion. Her name is Sister Mokalake. She is from Southern Africa and prior to coming here she was in the temple square mission for almost a year. Sister Mokalake is so full of life and is a great missionary and teacher. We are tearin it up here in Flowood! :)

Earlier in the week we had a great lesson with the Hispanic family that we found at rasin canes! ..Come to find out the husband might be a member. We are searching for his records..I hope that they are as sincere as they say they are about bringing their granddaughters to church, for they missed church this Sunday. One of the girls was sick.. We are going to stop by tonight to visit them! They had accepted a baptismal date of June 23 which we will have to push back. The wife ( so the grandma) has custody of her 3 grandchildren..their ages are 9, 6 and 4. Perfect primary age girls and one is baptismal age! The grandma is so sweet..she always calls us and cannot say our names..but she calls! i love it when investigators call us to reschedule or to schedule appointments. ( well we don't like it when they reschedule..but at lease they call and save us the miles!) Blessings from heaven.
 
Did I mention last week for P-day we went to Jackson with the Clinton sisters? I have included some pictures from our fun adventure. If you have seen the help yet..( so I hear it is a great movie) You will recognize some of these places..p.s were watching that movie when i get home..lol The historical buildings here are beautiful and there is so much history here.
 
Well... ::We interrupt this email to loan a copy of the book of mormon to the guy sitting across from me at the library::..
 OK were back..and with almost a new investigator..he is really sincere and wants to learn more about our religion..he is very open and can really see how the bible has lost so much meaning over time. He is going to read the book of mormon..and call us soon so he can ask us the questions that hes written down. Another thing he said is he wants to know more about the religion of the future republican nominee for president. ( Or so we here since we do not watch the TV.) haha Mitt Romney really has opened many doors for us..
Take yesterday for example.. there was a less active lady that on the ward list it said 'DO NOT CONTACT'..so we went. ha.. she wasn't interested and was very mean at first..then before she almost slammed the door she said.."oh and I'm voting for Romney.." haha.. we got her talking and by the end she excepted our phone number and that if she needed anything she would call us..but wasn't interested in the church. I love how the spirit softens peoples hearts!
anyways..
 
I am really coming to learn greater charity here in Flowood..Things aren't perfect..and I might not agree with everything people do..but I can love them anyways. God loves all his children and so do I. It never ceases to amaze me that our Father in heaven can over look the sin and love the sinner. Our worth and our value never diminishes..no matter what happens to us in life. I love the gospel of Jesus Christ and the gift of repentance!
 
Saturday and Sunday we had two baptisms of children in the ward. What a sacred and beautiful ordinance. I know that the same authority that John the baptist had when he baptized the Lord Jesus Christ is the same power that worthy males in our church hold to perform the same sacred saving ordinances. One thing I love is how much the spirit was present, each time, as they were confirmed by the laying on of hands for the gift of the holy ghost. In that ordinance the words are said " receive the holy Ghost". I love this so much. The gift of the holy ghost is just that..a gift! It is still up to us to live worthy and do all we can to receive this gift.
I also had the opportunity to play the violin at one of the baptisms. It was so sweet and the spirit was so strong. Truly with all my heart I love this work and I love the south.
 
Now for my last and final story... We have a new amazing investigator she has a date for June the 30th..but let me back up.
So we met her on Friday..we felt impressed to go visit someone in a certain apartment complex  ( who wasn't home..) She was walking around with her dog ( lizard hunting! lol) we loaned her a copy of the book of mormon and set up a return appointment for the next day.
The next day we almost didn't go back because I was worried she wasn't very sincere..but we went and she is the best investigator I have ever had on my mission..well that is hard to say..but she is wonderful. We set her with a baptism date..and invited her to church. Sunday came..and guess what.. She came to church. Tears come to my eyes just thinking about it.. We invite so many people to church and I find comfort in knowing that at least each week we had two converts there...ourselves. But she came! and stayed for all three hours and loved it. After church the amazing Elder and Sister Tucker ( who live very close to her) had us and her over for dinner and a lesson..We read the first chapter of the book of mormon together and committed her to read the next chapter on her own and wed discuss it..So we set up a return appointment for this morning..
We went this morning..and would you believe it! ( well..you will..but..) she read the first 5 chapters and had taken amazing notes. We discussed it and read the next chapter together. We are meeting with her on Wednesday..she is taking us out to lunch. At church they made a plea to feed the missionaries.. she asked us " are you going hungry? I will feed you!" it was so sweet. Heaven really is showering down blessings upon is. I know the Lord loves us and is preparing away for us to sow and also reap here in Flowood. I cannot thank him enough!
It was really funny..she is in psychology..and thought that a ward is a psych ward.. ha annnd that the people in the back of the pamphlets for the church part looked miserable and it made her almost not want to come. she said ..and I quote " The people in these pamphlets look miserable!" haha. yes the work is true.. They don't call it the plan of happiness for nothin!
Well this was a very long email..the time is far spent. I hope yall have a wonderful week!
Love, 
Sister Urie
 
Southernism: "When the destination is big. So are the bumps in the road." -s.frank
Scripture: Doctrine and Covenants 18:15-16.. always be on duty..and you are that one soul!
Tracting tips..nothin.. but check out the picture of the tattoo of one of our investigators!..yep!

No comments:

Post a Comment