Monday, December 26, 2011

Week 31 - Best Christmas Ever!

Dear Family!!
I would ask you how you are doing..but i know because I saw you yesterday! It was so great to talk with and see ya'll yesterday. It is was kind of weird..It is great to know you are all still alive. Thank you for the surprises..Congratulations Jessi! I am excited for you and hope that I will be home in time for the wedding..(Hint hint..wait till next winter!)
We had a great Christmas here. Whenever I would hear people say that Christmas on the mission is the best I would shrug it off and not really believe them..but they were all right! Christmas on the mission is wonderful. This really is a home away from home and It was so great to spend it with the people here. We were blessed to be able to eat dinner at a wonderful member's home and go around and visit so many wonderful families.
Well this email will be somewhat brief because this week was cut so short. We drove Sister VanRoosendaal to the doctors in Jackson on Tuesday. In case you were wondering..she is still not doing very well. Thank you for keeping her in your prayers. She did receive a beautiful blessing of healing on Wednesday and it gave her a lot of hope.
Do you remember me telling you about the woman that was the friend of a member who wanted to get baptized just so she could get food and have a church family to do stuff for her? Well..she's back! She came to church with her member friend Christmas Sunday and apparently she talked with the Relief Society President and asked if she could have "more seasoned missionaries" come and teach her. mmhhm.. oh no she didn't!! lol. Yes Jesus said love everyone.. But hey! No bueno friend! So we will just pray for her that she will have a change of heart and want to get baptized for the right reasons..
So i have included a picture of me pointing to this knife. We went to LaCombe to see a less active family we had a family night planned with ( Which they forgot about..) Anyways..so we get out there and go up to the door of this really nice house trailer thing and I put my hand on the railing of the porch and felt something. I take my hand away and look and there is this knife as if it had been thrown into the railing! Only in the south...So I had to take a picture with it.
We were able to go caroling twice this Christmas..which was so much fun! no..I did not take the violin with me too cold. Yet we had a lot of fun and gave out a couple of 'Joy to the world' DVDs. Have you ever seen it? It is so great. Loved the music that was in it. Also Sister VanRoosendaal and I watched Mr. Kruger s Christmas, Christmas eve before going to bed. It was so sweet it made me cry. (Have you ever seen that one?) I don't think I have ever seen that one either. In the movie he has these different day dreams while listening to Christmas songs and during this one song, What child is this, he day dreams that he is in the manger with all the shepherds, Mary Joseph and the baby Jesus. He pours his heart out in gratitude for the things that the baby Jesus will do for him. How He is is closest friend and savior and how Christ has stood by him in the hardest of times and through he lowest of lows. I feel this same way about my Savior. It was wonderful to be able to go to church yesterday and partake of the sacrament on Christmas. This was what I feel is the best way to spend Christmas, remembering what Christ our lord has done for us. He is the 'reason for the season' and it is his name that is the only name by which we can be saved.( 2 nephi 31:21) He was born to die for us and Now he lives. I glory in his life and I Marvel at his birth of such meek and humble circumstances. ( 2nephi 33:6)
What else has happened this week.. everything escapes my memory.. I do however want to tell you this! I love my Heavenly Father and Savior,Jesus Christ and I know that they live! I know that the only way to return to our Father in Heaven again is by following the example of Jesus Christ and keeping the commandments that he has given us. They are a safe guard and are put in place to keep us happy and safe. This Gospel really is good news ( Luke 2: 10-11) and will bring great joy to our lives as we follow its teachings.
I hope ya'll have a wonderful week! Please tell everyone thank you for the Christmas wishes. I felt so loved and I appreciate all those who pray for me and the work of the Lord here in the MJM. May God bless ya'll and have a very blessed week!
Love, Sister Urie
Tracting Tips: none...
Scripture: Since I gave you so many Scriptures in my letter..here is the challenge from our mission president for the new year adapted to you. President Tucker challenged us to reevaluate our missions, or re evaluate your life, and ask your self "What kind of a missionary am I going to be this year?" Then decide three things that you are going to do different this year to rededicate yourself. In other words, what 3 commitments to the lord do you want to make for this new year. I enjoyed this a lot better then a single new years resolution we make each year such as to loose weight or to eat less sweets..ect. the changing we make should always be directed towards how we can become more like our Savior. This is Repentance.
So I ask you as the year comes to a close, to ask yourself.."What kind of (a member, daughter of god, son of god, You fill in the blank) am I going to be this year?" You will see as you make this change miracles will take place in your life.
Southernism: "You need Jesus, I'm jus Sayin..." ( a sign we saw on the side of the free way nailed to a tree..while driving to Jackson,MS)

No comments:

Post a Comment