Saturday, December 3, 2011

Week 27 Food, Food, and more Food

Dear family!!


How are ya'll doing? Hope you had a great thanksgiving!! Things are great here!
Here in Slidell the weather has been pretty chilly! It is just like at home but with humidity, so it chills you to the bone. It has not gotten that bad yet, we've only heard about it. There has been a lot of rain as of late too. Very cold! Thank you, by the way, for sending my coat! This morning it was about 50 degrees.


Can you believe that I am 1/3rd of the way done with my mission? I cannot. It actually kind of makes me sick. I am no where near where I want to be, or know as much as I thought I would. I feel close to the spirit though and I am learning more and more about the atonement. I love this gospel so much! Also for being in this area so long I do not feel like I have made any difference or dent to the work that could be done. Let this be a lesson to you family... help the missionaries. We cannot do it without the members.


Some stories from this week..We will start with Monday and work our way to thanksgiving..
Soo Monday we went on exchanges so we could put the sicklys together and sister McPheeters and I could do some damage to Slidell. ( she was serving in Picayune. Exchanges went well and we were able to get a lot done. )
My poor Companion Sister VanRoosendall is still sick. She thinks it is gluten. Thank you for keeping her in your prayers.
We have been able to go and play the violin for a lot of people lately and with Christmas coming up we will be going caroling! fun fun!
We are making some good progress with our part member family we have been working with since I got here. We had invited them to read the family proclamation to the world a few months ago..and they never did it. which was apparent by the water stains on it. So we read it with them!  The wife is finally starting to see that the men and women have equal responsibility in marriage and family.


We have found two new families this week! The first family we found when we were at dinner at a members house. It is a girl (16yrs old) and her dad. Who coincidentally enough is related to someone in the ward! whodathunk! I will let you know more on them after we meet with them this week. We had set up an appointment to talk with the girl but she wasn't there, so we ended up talking with her dad. He told us how he had be trying to get her to come to church so he was surprised that she was talking to us!  Her dad told us his religious background and how he knew there were some bad habits he knew he would need to stop. They said they'd come to church and didn't..but! When we were talking with him he said he liked pictures, so we flipped to the pictures in the front of the book of Mormon and gave him a lesson on the restoration of Christ's church on the earth. It was great.
The next family is one we found when we were 5-5-5ing a less active member. She was not home so we took the opportunity to knock some doors around her apartment. either no one was interested and no one was home until we came to the door of a man we will can Robert. Robert told us he had met with missionaries about 2 months ago and then they stopped coming by ( so one of the elders former investigators. They wont mind. lol) He said we could come over and do a family night with him and his family. We are so excited to have found a family and pray they will be receptive to the message a second time. What was better is he gave us FOUR REFERRALS of people to go see. Yes life is good and God does love us.


Now on to Thanksgiving.
Thanksgiving was amazing! we had deep fried turkey and can i just tell you..it is amazing! once you've had it you can never go back. So you can bet when I get back we will be deep frying a turkey. lol. We had so much food it made us sick. I am almost out of my bottle of tums. We also were able to try Shrimp dressing. Which was also amazing. I attached a lot of pictures of the food and such. We had a very fun time. and I am happy to report that we only had 1 and a half thanksgiving dinners!


One last story.. so we were driving home one night last week and we get this phone call from a number we do not know. As we answer the phone a voice on the other line starts singing these hymns, primary songs and messages to us in song. It did not make any sense so we asked if this was someone calling about transfer calls. They kept singing, as a result we got annoyed and hung up. The number kept calling us back and after singing 'I belong to the church" one of the primary songs, and hanging up. they called back and left a message about how it was someone from the gulf port stake and they had a brother on a mission and was just calling to goof off. We do not know how they got our number but it was pretty crazy. Poor kid. We really thought it was transfer calls because it was right about that time that we should be getting a call. So there is no real moral to this story except for this..as in the immortal words of Mr.Bitter " Don't be stupid".


That is it on the week for me. I hope ya'll have a great one. I miss you and hope all is well. Christmas is coming and we really want to decorate our apartment. hint hint. lol I am grateful for you family and your love and support for me and the work of the Lord.
So I will leave you with my testimony!
I know this work is true and That Jesus Christ is at the head of this church. The atonement is real and Christ really did Atone for all of our sins. The atonement touches each of our lives depending on that we repent and have faith in the atonement. Joseph Smith really did see God the father and Jesus Christ. They are two separate immortal beings of flesh and bone who love us and have our best interest at heart. Everything they do is to help us come closer to God and they want nothing more for us to be able to live with the father again some day. To one day become perfect even as they are perfect. There is a Heavenly Father and he does hear and answer all of our prayers. He answers them on his time. This knowledge brings me so much comfort when times are hard and this world is so wicked. I love this Gospel!!!


I love yya'll
love, Sister Urie


Southernism: In every creole cooking anything down here they use the holy trinity in their cooking. The Holy Trinity consist of Onions, Green Peppers and celery. Now you know.


Scripture:"Cry nothing unto this people save it be repentance!" I was reading the story of Samuel the Laminate this week. I love his example of missionary work and how important the message of the savior is to share to all the world.( Helaman 11-13) Revelations 3:19 is one of my favorite scriptures of Repentance. "As many as I love I rebuke and Chasten: be zealous therefore , and repent." Zealous means to have intense enthusiasm, strong interest or devotion. Repentance is not a bad thing. It is so wonderful. We are so blessed to have a loving savior who paid the debt of our sins in full,so that we are able to repent and become clean from our transgressions. I love the atonement! I love my savior Jesus Christ! " I glory in my Jesus, for he hath redeemed my soul form hell." (2Nephi 33:6)


No tracting Tips.. as we have done no tracting! only 5-5-5ing!

No comments:

Post a Comment