Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Week 9 - 2 Baptisms and Biking

Dear Family and Friends,

This week was another great one!  As of yesterday I have officially been out two months and Ive been in Slidell a month and a half! It is so crazy how time fly's.
We went on exchanges this week. I went to Picayune, Mississippi and sister Hills stayed in Slidell. Picayune is more of what I thought my mission would be like. Long stretches of country road with a house every so often. It was really pretty, but almost more humid then Slidell! The people were great. While I was in picayune I was able to meet their ward mission leaders wife who comes on exchanges with the sisters once a week. She was such a sweet lady. Not a day goes by that we do not hear about the devastation that Katrina caused from one person or another.
Oh! I almost forgot the best part of Picayune..I got antied for the very first time! Sister Spencer and I went to try a member referral. When she opened the door and realized who we were she started telling us about what she believed and how we did not believe in Christ. ( this always amazes me.. because the name of Jesus Christ is in the name of the church. lol go figure) She prayed for us on her door step.. " Dear Lord, bless these girls,I pray the scales of darkness fall from your eyes!" It was great. I will say though i have never felt the spirit leave so quickly. There was so much evil and hatred in her... All is well now. ( see 2nephi 29..that is the south!)
 
We had two baptisms this Saturday!  These two men that got baptized made huge changes in their lives. This is has really helped my testimony to grow. The Atonement is real and people really can change if they have the desire and help from the Lord.
So funny story..Right after one of the men getting baptized and came out of the water ( after having been baptized but still in the water..)  I don't know what kind of a change he was expecting to feel. He really wanted to be baptized so that he could have a completely new clean slate.. So after he came of out the water he put of his hands up and did this little step back almost falling in the the side of the font looking up to the ceiling. It was so funny.
The other man that got baptized was just recently married to his wife who is a member. They are very excited because now they can be sealed in the temple a year from Saturday..on her birthday! She gave the talk on the holy ghost at the baptism. It was very sweet.

We rode our bikes yesterday! ( PS..my bike is still tassel-less..walmart does not sell them. so if you see any send them my way! lol) First you need to know that it has been raining like crazy here! Some one told us yesterday how there were tropical storms coming?..yeah no big deal. lol

So we had planned to bike... That morning we went tracting around our apartment and it sprinkled rain a little, but we knew it wouldn't rain because we had to ride our bikes! We prayed that it would not rain because we were trying to be obedient and ride our bikes. We rode our bikes and no rain!  The crazy part is that when we were visiting with someone whose house we rode to on our bikes they were shocked when we told them we had rode there. Apparently they had had so much rain that morning. The whole time we were at their house and all the way back to the car it was very sunny. See! God really does answer prayers!

(I got to eat Craw Fish Et touffe. It was really good! Craw fish is my new favorite. I will have to cook it for ya'll one day! :) )


I have also included a picture of our district. the elders are serving in picayune and so are the other sisters. The other elders that are serving in Slidell are zone leaders and only come to our district meeting every other week.oh.. this week I drove the mini van last Thursday. I am going to be driving this coming month! time really is going by very fast.


Southernism: for .. Instead of saying for example, " let's have dinner at 6 pm.." You would say " dinner for 6 pm" 

Tracting tips:...Times have been rough the water is washing away all our pennies.. we only made 3 cents this week.

Scripture: Jacob 4


Well that is all me for this week. Things are going great here.


I love you and hope you have another wonderful week!

Love, Sister Urie

No comments:

Post a Comment