Monday, July 4, 2011

Week 6

Dear Family and Friends!
This week has been crazy! The weeks are just flying by and I cannot believe I have already been on my mission a month.
Wednesday was Sister Hills Birthday. We went to Pecks seafood and po-boys for lunch. I got a Sprim Po-Boy. ( I included a picture) I had never head of a po-boy until I came out here but they are everywhere. They are like a sub sandwich..but even bigger.  For her birthday we also wanted to go get happy hour cupcakes but the place was closed. We ended up being able to go friday. The cupcakes are amazing! happy hour is buy one ($1.75) get one free. Super cheap and Super yummy. I know this sounds like it really doesnt have anything to do with missionary work, but it does! The man that owns the cupcake place has the cutest family and has a lot of friends from Utah that are mormon. He was really impressed with us and we might end up teaching his family..yes this means more cupcakes! :) win win i think.
Thursday was a really great day as well. we are able to go back and teach is lady named Brittney. She is about 26 years old and has a sweet little three year old daughter. She was pretty interested in what we had to say so we set up a return appointment for next week. She commited to read the introduction to the book of mormon and the first chapter. I love it when we find people that are searching for the truth.
This day was also monumentus because Chick-fil-A opened! Slidell now has their very own stand a lone chick-fil-a. ( I know, also not very important to the work, but we can always use it as a finding tool right? I kid..)
Friday we were able to teach one of our progressing investigators again. He has been reading so much from the book of mormon and has had some pretty good questions. I love it when they have a desire to read. The book of Mormon is so important and Wonderful! We taught him about Tithing and he said he was fine with it. We are very worried about This investigator though because he did not come to church and then he cancelled our appointment for last night.
Saturday was a great day for refferals! Everyone we talked to had someone they could have us go try. Most of the people that gave us refferals were people we had contacted and still thought we were there for bible study. ( We will set them straight soon)
There is another man that we have been trying to teach that should get getting baptized soon. He just needs to stop smoking. We are going to teach him the stop smoking workshop. He has been really good about coming to church and it is great to see that he wants to make this change in his life.
On Sunday, Fast sunday, we were able to get some tracting in. One door we knocked on a man about our age answered the door. I told him about the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ and that he could know for himself if this were true through the book of Mormon.. then I asked him if he had heard of the Book of Mormon. To this he responded.." I don't believe in Mormon." .. I was so shocked..i had never heard this response to that question before and was so confused. So i asked him what he meant. He then told me that he didn't really know anything about the book of Mormon.  The Book of Mormon is book of scripture comparable to the bible and tells of Christ dealings with the people in America... We do not worship Mormon, The prophet Jospeh Smith or Thomas S. Monson. There are so many misconceptions, I am coming to find, that people think about the Book of Mormon. Anyone who has not read it should greatly consider it. All we ask as missionaries and all the Lord asks of each of us is to read the book of Mormon and pray to know if it is the word of God. Then It is up to all who have asked in faith, who gain the witness, to act on that feeling and be baptized by proper authority. I love the Book of Mormon with all my heart. I know that it is the Word of God and that we can get nearer to God from reading from the Book of Mormon then by reading any other book.  ( ok..off my soap box.)
Sunday was really hard because we had so many investigators that were going to come to church and only one showed up. This work can be so rewarding, when we see people keep commitments because we know it will bless them. This work has also been very discouraging, because we see people not keep commitments and taking backwards steps. All we can do is keep praying and working.
Today Monday the 4th of July! This morning we had a ward pancake breakfast. There was also a little program after and a parade where the kids ( and a few adults) decorated their bikes, scooters and wagons and marched around the church. It was very cute.
Well that is is for me! Another great week in Slidell, LA.!
Keep on Keepin on my wonderful family and Friends! I love you and hope all is well!
 Love,
Sister Urie




No comments:

Post a Comment