Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Week 81: Santa..Gold Coin investigators..Till we meet again..‏

It has been such a great experience to have shared these weekly missionary letters with you.  I feel both excited for Sister Urie to come home and Sad that her time is up.  I know she is returning with honor.  God is pleased with her work and so is her family.  Well done Sister Urie.   This being the last email I want to say thank you for sharing this with us.  Terri Urie

Dear Family,
 
What a week..What a week. It feels as though I have just went to sleep..to wake up and find that its Monday AGAIN! Time has truly been going by so fast. I love my mission. I love the time that I get to serve the Lord full time with all my heart, might, mind and strength. What a joy and a blessing this has been to me. There were so many wonderful experiences that happened this week. They are near and dear to my heart and I hope you will find them a treasure as well..
 
I know Gods hand is in our lives because of the way everything has worked out. There was a chance for a hot second of me coming home in October...Had that happened I would have missed out on so many things here. Noah and his Dad being baptized. Different things in the ward and opportunities for growth that couldn't have happened else where. Things came full circle yesterday at church when we were able to see Noah pass the sacrament and his dad bless the sacrament. I couldn't help but tear up. It is so wonderful to see those that you have shared the gospel with come into full fellowship and participate in their callings and in church. Noah's dad received a calling also on Sunday and is so very excited to do all he can.
We were able to have a fire and roast some smores with them and some other members of the ward yesterday. Following we had a little scripture study. There was not a dry eye. I will truly miss both Noah and his dad so much. Noah wants with all his heart to serve a full time mission and his dad wants to be faithful and do all he can to remain active in the church. It warms my heart to know that they too have a testimony of our Savior and his plan for us. They are life long eternal friends that I will always treasure. When they go to the temple..I will be there. I never want to loose contact with them. ..knowing them causes me to reflect on the missionaries that helped Grandma and Grandpa Hartman to join the church. I am sure they felt a small portion..if not the same as I feel right now. With all my heart I wish they could see the impact that they not only had on y'alls life..but how it has influenced so many other lives.
In missionary work there are those who sow and those who reap. I was always a "sower"..I love helping plant the seeds. This brings my heart so much joy..but there is just something about "reaping" and seeing the fruits of your labors. It makes you appreciate all the little seeds that took time to plant and were nurtured patiently over time. God does have a plan. He is over all, he created us, loves us and will in his time bless us with that which we stand in need of. The Lord in his infinite wisdom made me a sower until the end. He knew i needed those experiences to be able to fully appreciate the joys of reaping such wonderful souls for Christ. Praise be to God.
 
..On a lighter note..It was so fun this week just living up the missionary life dream. Finding, teaching..and almost helping someone get to baptism. ( she will be baptized soon!) ..We were able to help out with the ward Christmas party. There was a little program put on..i played a violin solo ( of course) and we sang with the choir. ( our ward is so talented) .. the best part came when who should arrive at our party but Chris Kringle him self! Santa Came!..Sister Johnson and I could not miss out on such an opportunity we got in line and had our picture taken with Santa ( yes we made him hold a copy of the Book of Mormon.) After we got our pictures and candy canes I turned to Santa and asked him if he had read the Book of Mormon before..he said he had not! ..I asked him if he had one..he did not.. We told him that even Santa needs to get presents at Christmas and gave it to him as a present for Christmas..Santa promised that he would read the Book of Mormon and pray to know if it was God's word. So when he comes down your chimney..or however he enters y'alls house..make sure you follow up with him and see how his reading is going ;) before you know it we will here how Santa was baptized in the Brandon ward with the help of Sisters Johnson and Urie! woo hoo! lol.. ( After we gave him the book we went up to the bishop and asked him who Santa was..come to find out hes the father in law of a member..and hes not a member of the church!..yet again..planting seeds.ha!)
 
There were many more experiences that we had this week..but I will limit this email to just those few and share the rest with you when I return home. I have been keeping a journal every night..so we will have some fun stories to talk about..as I am also to hear all of y'alls.
 
One thing that I am excited for is to see the change in each of you. With time comes opportunities for testing, trials and growth. As one of my good friends likes to say.."There is no Growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone." I know that the Lord has taught all of us things and we have been able to grow. Please accept this change that i have made to myself and my life. I am not perfect, nor will i ever be in this life..but I love he Lord and have a strong testimony of his gift of the atonement. This, having faith in Christ and repenting of our sins, can change lives. Peoples hearts can change. There is a great talk on this from this past general conference entitled "See others as they may become" By President Thomas S. Monson. I recommend reading this one. one of my favorite quotes in the talk is .."
During the 1940s and 1950s, an American prison warden, Clinton Duffy, was well known for his efforts to rehabilitate the men in his prison. Said one critic, “You should know that leopards don’t change their spots!” Replied Warden Duffy, “You should know I don’t work with leopards. I work with men, and men change every day.""
We are meant to change and progress and become more like our Savior and our Father. This is a commandment. Repent. What great news the gospel is that we can change and be forgiven of our wrongs and have our 'garments washed clean". The Atonement is real. This is something I want to always remember and apply in my life. Never to be judgmental of others again. God loves us and I know that he has a great plan for us.
 
I love yall. Thank you so much again for all your support, love, prayers and encouragement throughout my time as a missionary and throughout my whole life. I truly love you and cannot wait to see yall again soon!
Till we meet again.
Love yall!
 
Sister Rebecca Urie.
 
Mississippi Jackson Mission
May 25,2011- December 12, 2012
 
Southernism: We told one of our investigators that wed see her at church and she replied.."if God willing and the creek don't rise"..haha too cute
 
Tracting Tips:none!..raining :) ( Flowood is crying because i'm leaving)

Scripture: Alma 26:16
"This is the exchange the Savior is asking of us: we are to give up all our sins, big or small, for the Father’s reward of eternal life. We are to forget self-justifying stories, excuses, rationalizations, defense mechanisms, procrastinations, appearances, personal pride, judgmental thoughts, and doing things our way. We are to separate ourselves from all worldliness and take upon us the image of God in our countenances." -Elder Robert C. Gay (General Conference Oct.2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment