Monday, December 3, 2012

Week 80:.exchanges and another point for team Jesus!‏

Dear Family,
 
It was yet again another great week in Flowood, MS. I have no idea where the time has gone and am even more surprised at how little time is left for me here.. Next week I will write another short email..It is just bitter sweet to think that this is my last full week in Flowood and as a full-time missionary for the church. There is so much I have learned and so many wonderful experiences that I cannot wait to share with yall.
I am so grateful to yall for supporting me in this mission trip, for praying for me and also for reading my emails and emailing me back! Yall are the best family a sister missionary could ask for!
This week I learned a lot about going with the Flow and being there for people and taking the extra time to sit with them and listen. Something I have learned before but it is always great to be reminded.
We visited with this lady who recently had gone to the temple. She has quite a few struggles going on in her life right now and just decided that she didn't want to fight some of the struggles shed been having anymore and just gave up. We went over Last week and she was sitting out front of her house ( she knew we were going to come by) and was doing things that she knew wasn't right. You could tell that she was doing it just to see what we would say..and do you know what we said? nothing. We didn't mention one word about any of it..even though deep inside of me I was about to scream and say "what are you doing?! You know better!" ..yet instead we just visited with her about life and different concerns she had. We also had a great scripture study session with her, all about who God is and how much he loves us and wants to be come like him. I know that when we understand the Doctrine that is what is going to change our actions and attitudes faster then telling someone what they should be doing and how to live.  This sweet sister was able to get things worked out and is on the path back. The Atonement is real. Christ Died for our sins and we can return to live with God our Father again. How glorious is that!
..On a different note how glorious is it that we get to focus so much on the Birth of our Redeemer during this Christmas season. Thinking about everything that he has done for me leaves me in awe. " Oh it is wonderful that he should care for me, enough to die for me".. " I marvel that he would descend from his throne divine to rescue a soul so rebellious and proud as mine." " I know that my Redeemer lives" The words of these hymns express how I feel better then My words could...
 
So.. Also this week we were able to go on exchanges with the Clinton sisters. It was really fun to serve in that area again and Help them find new people. I got to serve with Sister Mapu who I met her first day out and never got to serve with. What a delight that was. Amazing sister missionaries in this mission that's for sure!
This one lady when we were on exchanges in Clinton let us in to teach her more about the book of mormon. I am not sure what has happened to her since our visit..but she was pretty open to learning more and praying to know if the Book of mormon really is another witness of Jesus Christ. She had such a sweet family. Why are people so skeptical to learn more? .. .. Met another lady at the store and she said that she had started the conversion process on two different occasions ( started taking the lessons we teach to help people prepare for baptism into the church) ( she was young in her late 20's) and she stated that she saw how there were a lot of good qualities and teachings in our faith but a lot of things that are hard to believe if you haven't been brought up in the church. To that I say..READ THE BIBLE. because it is all there. Sister Johnson and I have been talking a lot about this lately. Its amazing how much when you read the Bible it goes hand in hand with the Book of Mormon. It is so sad to me that so many people will not give it the time of day and only esteem it to be just another book. I know that It is the word of God.
Our Book of Mormon Study class on Wednesday nights is going great! We have been having so many in attendance. Just when we were going to cancel the class indefinitely ..bam! a flood of people. Just one miracle from diligence.
 
So as far as who we are working with right now in Flowood.. we are teaching a young girl who is 13..Her parents are both members and she has not been baptized yet. ( I think I told yall about her..the one that we met at stake conference?)..Well she is great and is progressing really well. The only thing we are waiting on with her is to plan a date for her baptism when her family can all be here.
The next person we are working with is a sweet older lady ( in her 70's) I think I told yall about her too. She was a media referral we received. This sweet woman had been attending a different ward and Now she has started coming to church with us. The past two weeks she has been really sick so she couldn't come to church. Therefore we had to move her date for baptism back a few weeks. We are going to set her with a new baptism date when we see her this week. She just wants to be baptized but is too sick to come to church..Satan sure is a creeper!
 
Did yall get to see the Christmas devotional last night? If not yall have to watch it. There were so many great messages from the first presidency. I loved the one from President Uchtdorf about being a grateful receiver. This is such an important concept. People love to give but we are so bad at receiving well the things that people give us. I hope that we can all heed his counsel and become gracious grateful receivers this season.
 
Last awesome thing that happened this week is that Noah received the Aaronic priesthood! His Dad was able to confer it upon him. Amazing experience. Such faithful new converts exceeding the limits of what is available to them. Noah is excited to be in scouts and is going to work towards receiving his eagle. Even His dad wants to earn is duty to God award.  I thank God daily that we were able to find them and that they were elect and found out for them selves the truth.
 
Well...That is pretty much it on this week. Not too much exciting...to me it felt like a lot of loose ends have been tied up and that God has allowed me not only to be a sower in his vineyard but also a reaper. How much he knows each of us and knows what we need. I am so grateful to have been able to serve at this time and place and learn and grow with such wonderful people. Words will never be able to express how much my mission has meant to me.
 
I love the Lord. I know he lives and Died for my sins so I can return to live with my Heavenly Father again one day. Joseph smith is a true prophet called of God and we still have prophets today. God is the same yesterday, today and forever and I know he knows each of us, created us, and wants us to be happy. True happiness comes from living his plan and repenting everyday.
 
I love yall and hope you have a great great week!
Until next week,
Sister Urie.
 
Southernism:This week sister Johnson said.." We need to make her a new date" ( instead of set her with a new date) ha.. oh the south. :)
also..its not a very good picture of the car..but whenever we see cars like this I say.."rims!" ha..so gangster?
Tracting Tips: 10cents! found it at the car wash..haha
Scripture:Mosiah 2:41 there is safety, peace and blessings in keeping the commandments. Sounds like a happy less stressful life to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment