Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Week 40: Well I'm training again..annd the Mardi Graw beads! ( and a story from last week)‏

Dear Family!
 
How have ya'll been doing? Things are going great here! Beautiful sunny day and a great day to find people to teach. We have really been focusing on finding people on the ward list that no one knows who they are..which has been an adventure.
I don't know if I told ya'll much about who I am training.. but her name is Sister Aebischer. She is from Riverside California and is 25yrs old. Sister A is an awesome missionary and I am so excited to be serving with her.
There are two people we are working with right now that have a lot of potential. The first is a lady that the sisters here have been working with for a while. Saturday was the first time we have been in to teach her since I have been here. She had a lot of concerns about the book of mormon, its origin, who wrote it and the purpose of it compared to the bible. It was definitely a 'teach people, not lessons' lesson. Very great experience. I just hope we were able to help clear up all her concerns so that she will start progressing.
Our other investigator, who i know Ive told you about..she is the one we had the elders give a blessing to a few weeks ago because of her health? Well she has still been really sick. We got in to see her Tuesday night with a member and she was very weak, poor thing. We cleared up a lot of her concerns about the holy ghost and she is continuing to pray about and read the book of mormon. Our return appointment with her, for Thursday, fell through because she was sick again. We just keep praying that she will recover well and she will give place in her heart for the restored gospel.
 
So not to many stories this week.. One of the members in our ward went to New Orleans for Mardi graw and let us have a lot of beads! it was sweet.
 
There was one story from last week that I didn't tell ya'll..well here it is..
So Sister Hawkes and I really wanted to go to this restaurant called 'nawlins grill' ( no joke..that's its real name..spelling and all.) So we go in and the place is packed. The only table available is one in the middle of the room with 6 seats. So we sit at it and a lady comes up and asks if her and her husband can share the table with us. Which of course we tell her we would love to. As they sat down we got to talking and they were the sweetest couple. Come to find out he was a ( i cant remember what its called..wrote it in my journal I'll have to look and tell ya'll) but he went to seminary school a long time ago..was a preacher. Super nice guy. When we was in school he said he took a class about other religions and said that he asked for a copy of the book of mormon. With the copy of the book of mormon came two very persistant missionaries that tried to get him to get baptized.
I then proceeded to ask him what he thought about the Book of Mormon and he gave me a round about answer of how he thought the people of our church were really nice.. and I asked him again a little too loud and that ended the conversation for a little while our waitress was taking our orders.
As we started talking again he told us that there was a man in the room that was a very prominent member of his church and we needed to be quiet in a sense so we did not embarrass him.. was what they said in so few words. ( the couple we are at the table with was in their 70s). So we start talking again..they were so sweet and ended up that I had ordered something that the lady had recommended.. When it came it was "soggy" and she felt bad that she had recommended it and it was bad. So she had them bring her another plate of it and she gave it all to me ( plus they charged her for it! awful) To top it off they took our check and paid for our meal! It was so sweet.. So I felt like we needed to share something with them.. I told them I couldn't ever repay them but I could share a scripture with them. So I shared with them Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengthen me.. I proceeded to bear my testimony to them of Christ and how I knew that the atonement was real and covers all pain. He told me that he knew that what I was saying was true because we had already witnessed to him through our actions and how we conducted our selves that evening. It was very sweet. I am grateful for their examples.
They know a member couple from the ward and I am also grateful for the member couples sweet example.
Well those are all my stories for this week. I will work on getting some more stories for ya'll!
 
Love ya! Be Good..Share the Gospel!
Sister Urie
 
Scripture: D&C 130: 18-23.. Obedience and diligence to the Law will help us to have the spirit with us always..So be obedient. Just because we receive the Holy spirit when we are confirmed does not mean that it is with us. We must be obedient and earn his companionship.
Tracting Tips: 11 cents
Southernism: We were at someones house and the little girl said.."She had shut up talkin'" in other words.."She was done talking.." haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment