Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Week 21 - How's yo Mama

Dear Family and Friends

How are you doing? I hope you are doing well. I love seeing and hearing about all your adventures. Thank you for sharing. There is so so much that has happened this week here. I will start off by telling you that yes, I am going to be training a new missionary these next two transfers! Crazy yes..i know. I have a feeling that training is a lot like parenting? Correct me if I am wrong..I have had a lot of anxiety about worry that I am going to ruin her and that she will die. ( I know this is not the case.. I just don't want to mess her up or be a bad trainer.) A lot of my fears and worries were put to ease after going to the training for trainers meeting on Thursday. I am really excited to train and hope I can help my new missionary sister friend to enjoy, love and stay excited about the work!
Ok..here are the stories..So Tuesday we had to go get the Oil changed in our mini van. Oh what an adventure that was. What they said would only take 45 minutes to an hour took 3 and a half hour! Now don't get me wrong, it was a great experience and we did meet people and talk to people. It was just forever long. What was funny though was we met this man and his wife ( who has dementia) They were really nice to us and knew we were church people..and then when we told them we were " Mormon" The little old man freaked out and started telling us how he is Catholic and telling us everything about his religion. Which is fine. Truth is truth and I love to learn about how people came to have Christ in their lives. What was weird though is he couldn't look us in the eye when he was telling us about his church yet when he was telling us about football he could look us straight in the eye. Weird.
While we were there the man and his wife were not happy because they had been there for longer then we had an our car was done before theirs. What was wrong with their car had something to do with a software thing in their car and as a result there was a little light on their dash board that went off..not a big deal from what the car people were telling them..So the man proceed to explain the problem to his wife.. he said " The computers aren't talking well with each other..The Kia in Korea says to the Kia in lake shore Slidell..'How are you doing?' and the Kia computer here in Slidell says to the kia in Korea ' Hey, Hows yo mama!'. Too funny. :)
Next..we have been meeting with that family that we met a lot. each time we go over we take with us a member and it has been going really well. We cannot answer their questions fast enough. They came to book of mormon class on Wednesday night and The daughter (16 yrs old) went to Young women's. The daughter and mom came to church on Sunday and told us that The mom and dad did not want to join that they were good staying catholic because that's what they've been all their lives but they're happy for Kristy to learn more if this is what she wants. We were a little sad..but we think they are just scared..it has only been a week and they are probably just overwhelmed. The culture of our church really is overwhelming!!..

So another story! On Saturday night I played the violin at chick-fil-a. It was actually a pretty good proselyting activity. I had a really fun time "strolling" again and putting to use all the songs that I learned in strolling strings in High School. and thus we see... You really do use some of the thing you learn in  High School. Also I had quite a few people ask me questions about why my name tag said sister on it. I also had someone ask me if Mormons could only wear skirts. While playing 'There is sunshine in my soul today' I looked over and saw a man singing the words of the song to his daughter. I was very curious how he knew the song and he said that he was over the music for his congregation at the church he went to. It was fun to try to have him name off some of the hymns that are in his hymn book and play them from memory. ( Rock of ages of course) His little daughter requested 'This little light of mine', 'Row, Row, Row your boat', 'If your happy and you know it clap your hands' and the wheels on the bus. It was really cute and fun.

On Sunday Sister LeBaron and I played a musical number. "Joseph Smith's first prayer". I Love Sister LeBaron. It has been so much fun to serve with her and I will miss her so much! Look out world Sister Jessica LeBaron will be on the market on Wednesday. haha


I will keep you posted on who my new companion is...can you believe they're letting me train?!


I love you so much and hope you have a wonderful week!

Love, Sister Urie


Southernism: "You can tell by my truck..My Treasure is in heaven." - Bumper sticker

Tracting Tips: Nothing...

Scripture: Alma 42:27,31

No comments:

Post a Comment