Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Weel 70 - October 13 and the cupcake

Dear Family!!
 
Can you believe that tomorrow I will have been out 16 months? I surely cannot. This work is amazing and the time that I have been here feels like a dream. Everyday goes by so fast. I cant even begin to tell you how many miracles we were able to be a part of this past week. My heart is so full of thanks to my God that I cannot put into words how excited I am for the events that have transpired this past week. Also I cannot express how grateful I am for the things that will be coming in weeks soon to follow. Let me explain...
 
Last week I mentioned Cody? ( I believe that is what I called him? The man that did not believe we celebrated birthdays?)...Well! We stopped by his house on Thursday night..His dog has been really sick and was about to pass away. So they wanted to spend as much time with him as they could before he passed. As a result we weren't able to sit down with them and have a "formal lesson" if you will. We were able to be there for them..took the puppy a get well card. They appreciate that. During this visit we were able to discuss How all good things come from God. Cody's son has been struggling with adding additional scripture to the bible. Since a young age this is all he's known. ( he is 15) So his questions and concerns were centered on who is to be accountable if he were to read and study these things and it took him further from Christ and God? Also he didn't want to go against everything he had been taught. I can completely understand this..after living with one law and one understanding your whole life and having someone come and tell you something different..I would be a little confused myself and question..( I believe I already told yall this also..)..I was worried we were a little to blunt with him in helping him understand these things.  Also during this visit we asked Cody if he 'hopes the book of Mormon is true, Believes it is true or Knows it is true." He said He believed it was true!.. Sister Johnson and I were so excited..both of us beaming! I cant express the feelings to you of how exciting it is when someone (who you've been meeting with for a long time) tells you that they believe the same things you do. What a great feeling.. and if you think that's great..
The next time we met with Cody was after he had informed us that his dog had passed away. So we stopped by to see how they were doing. A little sad of course. They are going to let me play the violin at the puppy's funeral. His mom might come down too ( Cody's Mom.. Side note: He has been sharing the book of mormon with his family. They didn't like it at first..but now they are open to learning more because they know that Cody and his son would not look into anything that would hurt there relationship with God.) During this visit we committed them to come to church again..which they said they were going too..also we told Cody that we had prayed about his date for baptism and felt good about it..but it would be a good idea if he did the same thing.. SO in our closing prayer with him Cody prayed that he would be able to make it to his baptism date and to confirm if that was the date that he wanted him to be baptized on. So great!...
Sunday.. We were supposed to have so many investigators come (because I was playing the violin in church) but The only people that came that we invited were two less actives and Cody and his son..( pretty good if you ask me!) His son came to church...and He LOVED IT! He went right with all the youth his age to class and he stayed in priesthood with his dad..he loved every minute of it..when we asked him what he thought he said he liked it a lot better then his other church. He wants to be involved in scouts and seminary. After the block of meetings this week we had a "linger longer" ( every fourth Sunday we linger a little longer and eat a potluck lunch.) We told his son how we know he was looking for more leadership opportunities at his other church..and once he gets more involved here he'll see there are so many available for him..then his dad ( not yet a member ) said " yeah..and when you learn more about the priesthood you'll understand."...! We haven't even taught him really any of that! This week we are focusing on the commandments to prepare him for his baptism... but I'm getting ahead of myself.. We had a meeting at a members house with him and his son last night. It was amazing!..
During the visit we sat down and he said he wanted to be baptized on October 13th and wanted to know what he needed to to do prepare for that date. No one ever says that to us! Hardly ever. So we went over some of the baptismal interview questions. Also we are making a chart of everything we need to teach him, when and what scriptures he needs to read... His son asked some really good questions..such as How the prophet is called..he was a little confused on how we were able to still gain personal revelation if the prophet gained revelation for us..but he answered the question himself.. This boy is 15! Who has these questions when they are 15 besides the boy Joseph..not many. One thing i love that the member said to them last night when we were at there house was basically.. they do not realize it now..but they are going to be such an asset to the ward here and to the church. His son said he wanted to serve a full time mission like us too!...How great is our calling?
I feel so privileged to be able to teach them and serve them. Earlier in the week Cody asked us if he was taken us away from the ministry..we both looked at him and told him "no..you are our ministry!".. Invite all others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel has taken on a new meaning this week.
 
Long story.. I hope that it makes sense.. I am just so excited and happy for both of them. We are meeting with them Wednesday before our book of mormon study class..His son has another youth group he is going to but wants to skip it so he doesn't miss the meeting. Also he is praying to know which date he wants to be baptized on. :)
 
.. Next story is about that family that I told you about last week..who was a referral from that sweet little old lady who tells everyone about us?..well She wasn't home when we went to meet with her..So we called and rescheduled.. She has been talking with her "spiritual adviser"..Who told her that we did not believe that Jesus Christ was our savior and we only believed he was a prophet... Sister Johnson told her.. No..that would be a lie... and secretly we wanted to tell her.."we hope you're not paying your spiritual adviser..".. But we tried to reschedule and she told us that she had been talking with a her baptist preacher neighbor..who told her was the one that told her these things.. And started to tell us she didn't want to meet with us anymore when I got an impression to ask her if she was going to be home today so that we could talk with her in person..She told us it was her birthday and I said.."we want to bring you a cupcake!!"..so that we did..She let us come over..we talked..She now knows we believe that Jesus is our Savior..he lived, died for us..and lives this very moment!..Because we took the time to sit with her and listen to her concerns she wants to keep meeting with us. She told us that every time we come over she feels such a calming spirit and she doesn't just let people right into her home and pray with them. We have a return appointment to explain/discuss the restoration with her in more detail his week. I will return and report.
 
What else happened this week... We had dinner with these awesome members and they made really yummy homemade rolls! so I took a picture with one.. They make the best bread ever..:) SO i just had to eat a few. lol
..hmm.. I know! We had a meeting with bishop! Things are looking up in the ward. He has been bishop about 3 years..and it makes me sick knowing that not one set of missionaries have ever sat down and set expectations..or told him what our role was and what we could really do to help. Night and day. Things are looking very bright for our future here in the Brandon Ward. We have started doing service on Saturday mornings..showing up and different members houses and seeing what we can do for them. First stop Saturday was the bishops house..all three sets of us missionaries asking him who in the ward he knows that we can go see. I think he really appreciated the effort.
 
Last thing..we were able to help sister McDonough clean the mission home for service this week. ( lots of service..but not too much.) It was great. I love her so much..She is very sweet and it is great to be able to learn from her.
 
Well.. That is about it for me.. Ive officially blown up ya'lls inbox with this ginormous email.. I hope you enjoyed the story.. Also I hate to ask..but if you could please keep The dad and his son in your prayers I would really appreciate it. They need all the prayers they can get!
 
I love yall so much! I hope yall have a great great week!
Have a blessed day!
love, Sister Urie.
 
Southernism:Sooo.. maybe we were driving down the road and saw this car..maybe we stopped and took some pictures..maybe we loaned to copies of the book of mormon and made two new investigators..no big deal..ha!
 
Also this week I heard this conversation.."How are you doing?".." Oh Fair to middlin"
Scripture: Acts 5:41 They counted themselves blessed that they were willing to suffer shame for his name. I love this scripture. Do we ourselves in the same light? Why do I sacrifice and serve? Because I love the Lord too much not too.
 
Tracting Tips: zero... The weather has been so nice though.

No comments:

Post a Comment